Wednesday, August 2, 2017

A sad, sad day - - nuntium duocentesimum septuagesimum tertium

I hesitate to write this but there are enough of you who know where I work so that I want to reassure you that I'm okay.

My school exploded today.
We have two campuses.  I work at the other one.

Thankfully school was not in session, no kids were hurt.  We did lose a colleague though- one of 17 years.  We didn't know each other well but enough to say hi and chat.  My younger daughter is supposed to start her senior year in three weeks in this building.  Another staff member is still missing, a much beloved custodian who bonded with the kids by knowing their names and giving them Dilly bars.  My daughter loved him.

I'm out of words.


18 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I saw that on the news. So sorry, that must be devastating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was on the news in South Africa? Wow! It's overwhelming to us all.

      Delete
  3. So glad you are ok. So sorry for Ms Berg and Mr Carlson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- they were both much loved and will be missed.

      Delete
  4. How horrible! Dave had heard about it on the news, but he didn't know the name of the school. I am so sorry to read about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my - sorry to read your post this morning. Hugs and Blessings to all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so, so sorry, Michelle. Thinking of you and relieved to know you and yours are safe.
    💕Fox

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very sorry and thankful you are o.k. Prayers for you and your community.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really awful Michelle. So so sorry to hear this. How terrible...
    Thinking of you, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so stunned to see on your blog the devastating photo that we all saw on the news. I never would have imagined that this is 'your' school. Thoughts and prayers to all in the community.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all. I appreciate your thoughts, prayers and sympathy. We are all reeling and truthfully trying to comprehend it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to read your news, and so pleased you are safe. Thinking of you and the school

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so devastating. I'm so very sorry - horrible to see on the news locally. I never thought it would be all over the world. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to know you are safe. Thinking of you, the students and your coworkers.

    ReplyDelete

gratias maximas- it's wonderful to hear what you have to say!